Friday, June 22, 2012

Learning to Let Go.....

Recently, I was fortunate enough to win a kayak for the largest bass at the 2012 YakAttack Charity Fishing Tournament to benefit the Central Virginia Heroes On the Water chapter.  The first place prize package included: a 2012 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 kayak, a YakAttack Park-n-Pole and a beautiful trophy.  Since that day, my son has been anxious needless to say to get out on the water with his kayak.  He has even offered to follow me out on my adventures to the First Island and the Eastern Shore.  While I hope he will be able to do those trips with me in the future, it is best to build his confidence and let him have fun in calmer more predictable waters.

Last weekend, the Central Virginia Heroes On the Water chapter held their monthly outing at Sandy River Reservoir. While there were only a handful of veterans able to participate, we had a successful day in total with one of the veterans landing the largest bass of the day at 18"+.  On this particular day, I had the pleasure of making it a family outing.  My son was coming along to test out his new kayak, and my wife was attending to capture the moments in digital form.  My son and I were hoping to share this first outing also with one of the veterans my son has come to know and like a lot, Mr. Mark.  Unfortunately, he was unable to attend, but hopefully the next outing Mr. Mark can make it to, I will have my son with me so he to can see the newly found joy we witness on this day.

When we arrived, I pulled over to the canoe/kayak launch and began to unload the kayaks.  My son was noticeably antsy and wanted to get out and help.  Once the kayaks were unloaded, he helped me get all of the gear for the day unpacked and loaded into the kayaks.  Once we were unloaded, the day began......

First, he helped me carry his kayak down to the launch......

Then I helped him ease into the water and get his balance.....

I gave him a heading to go to and he was off without a care in the world.....
And so the obsession begins.  I put my kayak into the water and made my way over to him to make sure he headed into the sheltered cove and managed to avoid as much wind as possible.
Once we reached the cove, I showed him how to use the YakAttack Park-n-Pole by placing it through the front scupper hole that was opposite of where he wanted to cast.  Just trying to minimize any unnecessary obstacles that might cause his first outing to get a little frustrating........like tangled fishing lines or winds pushing you about when you are trying to maintain a static position.
When he decided that he wanted to move, I talked him through how to remove the Park-n-Pole and stow it using the paddle retainer bungee on the side of the kayak.  Then I moved away from him slightly to give him some more room to go out on his own.
After a few hours, it was time to head back in to the main launch and sit down for a bite to eat.  The dinner portion of the outing is always a superb way to end the day.  This is the opportunity to talk with the other participants and answer any of their questions, talk about their day on the water, eat some good food.......basically fellowship and friendship without any restraints or limitations on either party.  Throughout the dinner, you can hear the heartfelt laughter as it echoes from under the canopy tent where we consume the tasty food.

I make my way over to my son and let him know to follow me back to the main ramp, so we could go eat.  He begrudgingly gave in and headed in knowing that the day would soon come to an end.  He never faltered while in his new kayak, nor did he give up even when the winds started to blow in earnest.  I simply made my way over to him and gave him a little encouragement.  He stuck with it and was determined to do it on his own.
Surprisingly, he knew intuitively on his own how to turn the kayak when he needed to.  We all witness this when he was making his way back to the launch and the wind blew him off of his line to the ramp.  He made two paddle strokes on his left side and a single stroke on the right side and righted the kayak into a nice slow drift right back to the launch.
Once he reached the ramp, I told him it was his responsibility to secure his paddle and pull his kayak up out of the water to make room for others that might be coming in.  He accepted this task with glee and showed everyone that he knew what to do.
Even though there are future lessons needed, specifically on awareness of your surroundings, noise control, and kayak positioning relative to wind direction,  the day was a success in my mind.  I know my son is already looking forward to the next time he can get out on the water with me.  It was at this point that I realized that my son was growing both physically and in maturity even though he is now only 7 years old.  I know that those fatherly reigns of caution and wisdom would soon turn into mental notes in my son's head as he ages further, and I have to start empowering him more and learning to let go......

1 comment:

  1. That's great Chuck... I was fortunate enough to get my Dad out on my 2nd yak last fall... Unfortunately, I only have one now in the PA, but I'm working on him to try and get another so we can spend some more time together since I'm all moved out.

    ReplyDelete