Sunday, October 7, 2012

Still searching......


The first weekend of October signifies a couple of events here in Virginia this year.  First, it signifies a drop in temperatures for the most part.  While the water temps are still hanging around the 65-70 degree mark and slowly cooling, the air temps have dropped significantly overnight sometimes dropping into the high 40's.  Second, for the loyal bridge anglers in the area, it also signifies a change in the target species at the bridge complex.  Last but not least, this year the weekend of October 5th - 8th signified the 1st Annual Virginia Beach Boondoggle - a gathering of like-minded kayak anglers from all over that get together for some social mingling and fishing.

I met a couple of familiar faces at the launch - Matt from KBF and Josh from MKF.  After a few quick tips and tricks for Matt who had never fished the bridge before, I headed out with Josh for possibly one of my last chances at a sheepshead before the water gets too cold for them.  I have ventured out chasing sheepshead now for the last 3 months and have not had any luck in getting one into the kayak.  My last two times out, I have at least had one on the line that came unbuttoned, but none in the kayak yet.  Unfortunately, this day I would later learn would hold much of the same for me.

Josh and I launched to cool air temps and 2-3 foot rollers in the surf.  Before we had even entered the Hobie to make our way out, we were was soaked from head to toe and cold.  The 5-10 knot winds weren't helping either.  Once we made it past the first set of breakers, the wave height swelled even more to 4-5 feet, but we just pedaled through and made my way to the bridge.  Along the way, we were chatting with one another about nothing in particular when we heard a noise.  I looked to our right and noticed that we had some interested tag-a-longs...........

The dolphins hung with us for about 30 seconds, then headed off on their own.  By the time we made it to our first spots, the sun had made it's way past the first layer of cloud cover on the horizon and started to warm the cool air.  We parted company and went to our planned fishing spots for the day.  I went straight for the same location where I lost my last two sheepsheads determined to ge one in the kayak.

After about an hour of working over the first 3-4 sets of pilings, I finally felt the slight weightless feeling you get when a fish takes your bait and swims upwards.  I reeled down and gave a quick vertical hookset, which was followed by a surge downward as the sheepshead realized it was now hooked.  What ensued was the most exciting and adrenaline filled 60 seconds of my angling career to date.

The sheepshead made a bulldog surge downward, but I was able to keep him off the bottom.   He then launched himself on a drag ripping run straight to the next set of pilings.  I reared back on him slightly to create some pressure to try and steer him clear of the pilings.  As the sheepshead turned, I felt the line go slack.  Knowing that the fish was most likely still on, I reeled quickly to take of the slack in the line and quickly realized he was swimming back towards me.  I was caught in between two pilings trying to make my way to him, when he surged straight down underneath my Hobie.  I had him hooked good, and he was not happy at all.  I got him under the kayak and started to reel him in when he made one final bulldog run downward.  It was then that my heart was broken........and my line for that matter.  The big sheepshead had wrapped the piling base underneath of me and broke free.

The rest of the morning held nothing of note for me other than a bunch of oyster toads and this healthy 10" sea bass.......

I may have one more chance to get out there to try and get one before the water temps get too cold, but my search for that elusive sheepshead still continues.

So close yet so far away.......

No comments:

Post a Comment