Saturday, November 10, 2012

November Creekin' and some good news

The last couple of weekends have been mild to say the least with air temps creeping into the upper 60's at various times.  Last week I had a chance to join fellow WKFA members Darren, Walter, Rick and Jim at a local creek and chase some fish.  While the bite was slow going, there were plenty of fish caught amongst all the anglers.  Walter started us off with a nice little bluegill, then Darren chimed in with a couple of largemouth, including a nice 16".

I was taking my time and lagging back, because I only had a couple hours to fish and didn't want to get too far away from the launch, especially since the creek was tidal and was falling fast.  After everyone but Rick had passed by this one lone tree sticking out into the creek turn, I worked it over for about 15 minutes and was rewarded with two fish, a spunky 14" largemouth and what would turn out to be the big fish on the day, a nice 17.75" largemouth.


After that one, there wasn't much more happening, so I asked Jim and Rick to tell the others I had to leave and headed back in.  During the course of the week, I received some good news.  I had inquired recently about joining a pro staff for a product I had used and liked.  After some preliminary questions from the owners about my fishing, I was afforded the opportunity to join the PowerTeam Lures Pro Staff!!  They are a local VA business and produce some quality soft plastics.  Check them out if you get a chance.
Needless to say, I was more than just a little excited and anxious to get on the water.  When the opportunity to hit the creek again with Darren presented itself, I jumped at the opportunity.  We launched into a slight cool fall breeze and made our way back to a some good spots.  We started off targeting bass, but could only manage a few short strikes and no hook ups.  We decided to switch over to our ultralights and do some dock-shooting.

On the way back to the docks, I managed to snag to fish - a surprise 18.5" chain pickerel and a smallish 6" yellow perch.  Right after that, we get to the docks, and Darren hooks up immediately with the largest crappie on the day - right at 13".  From then on, we worked the docks and landed several crappie between us and even a bluegill at one point by Darren - all on small curly tail grubs and stump jumpers.  I even landed what I will call a "Crass" or a "Bassie", because this bass had the body outline of a crappie but the markings and head of a largemouth.   Sort of a 'frankenbass" looking fish.  Pretty strange.

All in all a great day on the water even though we didn't get into the big largemouth we had hoped for.  Here's a little video from today's day on the creek.  Last week's video was too short and wasn't the best, so it was omitted.

Enjoy this warming trend while you can!  The colder days are fast upon us!

Tight lines and dress correctly for cold water angling!

No comments:

Post a Comment